Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Doctrine of the Cat

I had to take my cat to the vet today. He was sick. And scared. He just couldn’t stop crying. History tells me not to let any of my cats out of the carrier before absolutely necessary. (Think: crawling under cabinets, leaping maniacally around the room and crawling from my ankle to my shoulder in 2 seconds flat. And, yes, that really hurts). Anyway, I couldn’t resist. I unzipped his carrier and petted him. In an instant, that loud piercing cry stopped. He was more with his head popping out of the cage and my hand rubbing his fur. I didn’t do anything else. We just sat there in silence together waiting for the doctor. But the did wonders, and, I think, having his head free from that cage.

Of course, this got me to thinking. When we are panicked and scared, what helps us the most? Based on this morning, I can think of two things.



Someone there to comfort us. Someone not necessarily offering the answers, just being there with us. Touch is an amazing healer. Whether it be a hug, a , or a gentle pat on the shoulder. Touch is a source of universal comfort.

A Way Out

I think my cat felt better knowing there was a way out. He knew he wasn’t going anywhere in that moment. In fact, he didn’t even try. But he could see the way out. He knew, when the time was right, how he was getting out of that carrier. I am thinking that is true of us as well. When we are struggling, knowing the way out can really be a simple way to get some back, to feel better, more centered.

If you are feeling at all, try these two tricks to help you get through.

1. Create a list of your comfort people. The people you can rely on to calm and comfort you. Keep that list handy. And use that list when you need it. Don’t deny yourself the support you deserve.

2. When you are feeling overwhelmed, ask yourself what you need to do to “get out” of that situation. Even if you can’t take action on it right away, having a plan will help you feel more in control, more calm.

Give it a go when you feel overwhelmed and see how much better you can feel!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! Thanks for another fun holiday tradition.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete