Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lessons from Susan Boyle

Susan Boyle is all the rage. A contestant from Britain’s Got Talent (the show American Idol was modeled after), she is the one that knocked the socks off the judges, the audience, and anyone else who has had the privilege to hear her breathtaking voice. She sure gave me a wakeup call. There really is something to listen to here, and something much richer than her hypnotic voice.

By the time I watched her on YouTube, I already knew she was a sensation. But I admit, when I clicked “play,” I was chuckling. I mean, how often do you associate knock out beauty with a bushy eye brows and frumpy clothes? I was shocked by her appearance and couldn’t help but have a smile on my face as she began. And then she began to sing. Her voice was like being surrounded in beauty. It was beyond words for me.

After she sang, I had some explaining to do to myself. I had judged her. It brought some deeper thoughts to mind. How often do I judge others because they look or act a certain way? I mean, I am this fabulous, understanding therapist, right? Well, watching and listening to Susan Boyle has taught me an important lesson.

Besides sharing a beautiful voice, and the importance of never giving up on your dreams, she has reminded me not to be so quick to judge. She has reminded me to stop laughing and to start looking and listening to the things I might miss by making assumptions and judgements. When we only look for beauty in limited places, when we decide we don't have to be open anymore, we miss opportunities. Susan Boyle woke me up and reminded me that there there is a powerful, beautiful world out there, as long as I am willing to stop and look and listen to it.

Go ahead and take a little time out and listen to Susan Boyle and think of what you can learn from this woman who has won us over with her striking voice and unusual beauty.

Listen to Susan Boyle here.

No comments:

Post a Comment